Monday, January 18, 2010

PPA25 and Cards for St. Jude

I must say that I am glad the weekend is over. Sometimes, it's nice to get back into a routine. The kids had several social and sports activities. People used to tell me that parenting got harder as the kids got older, not easier. I was skeptical, but now I understand. Trying to keep up with busy social lives and sports schedules, is hair wrenching at times, but at least the older ones sleep through the night. A good trade off, in my book. I did get out and do some stampin' and socializing with fellow Stampin' Up demonstrators this weekend. I always enjoy making projects and talking with friends. I now understand the attraction of quilting guilds.
I made this card yesterday for the Pals Paper Arts Challenge 25. I also wanted to make a Valentine's Day card for the children at St. Jude's Hospital (Cards for St. Jude's), so I needed the card to appeal to little ones. Unfortunately, I found out this morning that they have reached their goal of 200 cards to send to St. Jude's. Instead, I may look into sending some cards to the children's cancer center at one of our nearby children's hospitals. I think these special children could use a nice "pick-me-up" on Valentine's Day. Cards for St. Jude's was such a great idea, why not spread it locally?
Onto my card - my base card measures 4-1/4" x 5-1/2 (Whisper White). I used Basic Black, Real Red and Kraft for the layers. I stamped the adorable skunk from the Pun for Fun stamp set onto the Kraft paper, using Basic Black Classic Ink. I used the masking technique, if I felt the skunks may overlap. The red skunk was stamped separately onto Whisper White and heat embossed using the black embossing powder. I then colored him in using a Real Red marker and cut him out to add over a previously stamped image on the Kraft paper. This gives him a 3-D look, so cute. I colored the flowers in with the Real Red marker and I also outlined the stamped skunks with the black journal marker to give them more depth. My red skunk got a 3-D pink heart, instead of a flower, to make him even more special. I added some Real Red polka-dot ribbon around the top, to hide the "lack" of images underneath. I absolutely LOVE embellishments. The amount of embellishments I have on a card, usually equals the number of mistakes - hee, hee. I finally stamped Mr. Skunk's sentiment, I stink you are sweet!, onto Real Red using Basic Black ink. I punched the sentiment out with the Modern Label punch and used black brads to adhere to all the layers. Voila! I must admit this is not one of my favorites. I don't know if it goes outside my comfort zone or what, but no matter how much I did to it, I still wasn't happy. I guess there just comes a time when one needs to stop, accept it and move on. I got the idea from a card I viewed on SCS, but I must say her card seemed much more appealing. I wanted to use the skunk because kids get such a giggle out of the sentiment, I stink you are sweet!, and these children definitely need a good laugh.
Thanks for checking out my card today and please say some extra prayers for those still suffering in Haiti.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful card for a wonderful cause - so glad you play @PPA!

    ReplyDelete